So we recently had to go out and purchase a new car seat. No we did not have another kid, but we bought one as a present for one of the in-laws. It has been a few years since we went child seat shopping, but we were surprised with just how many options there are out there. They mentioned that they really wanted to get a convertible car seat, so that is where we focused our attention. This narrowed things down a bit, but there are still a number of high quality options to choose from. It took some time, but to make a long story short, we ended up springing for the Chicco NextFit Zip.
This seat seems to have a ton of features that we are sure the parents will find super useful when it comes to installing it and using it every day. It was not cheap, but it does come packed with safety, comfort, and convenient technology that made it seem like a smart buy. When it arrived we unpacked it and were thoroughly impressed. It is built like a tank. When the in-laws finally got a look at it they are extremely happy as well. For any other parents out there looking for suggestions when it comes to getting a new convertible child seat, here is a quick run down of what this Chicco model has to offer.
Car Seat Features
Like I said before, this seat is loaded with tremendous features. Perhaps this is why it has gotten such high ratings from parents. We pulled some of the following information from a review of the Chicco NextFit Zip that lead us to finally pull the trigger on this seat.
- ReclineSure 9-position leveling system that allows compatibility with a wide spectrum of vehicles.
- Improved ventilation courtesy of the 3D AirMesh fabric that allows improved air flow.
- Washable seat pad that zips right off the shell to allow for machine washing.
- RideRight bubble feature that indicates the correct angle for the seat in either forward or rear-facing orientations. This ensures that you always have the right position for the seat on either orientation.
- An effortless tight and secure vehicle fit made possible by SuperCinch Latch tightener with force-multiplying capability.
- 1-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- 6 positons headrest and auto-widen harness for older children.
- 5-point harness with 2-positions for a chest clip
- Incorporated FloThru belt path that makes it easy to transition from rear to forward facing without rethreading.
- Compatible dimensions of 20.5”L by 19”W by 26”H.
- LATCH storage compartments for keeping LATCH connectors when you aren’t using them.
- Built-in lock offs for seat belt installations.
Advantages of the NextFit Zip
- FAA approved for aircraft use.
- Has an infant insert which adds support for smaller kids.
- Allows the baby to rear face for longer, that is from 5lb to 40lb.
- A futuristic seat pad design that allows for breathability.
- Easy to clean seat pad that zips out from the seat shell for machine-washing.
- Adjustable harness and side impact protection to allow for different heights and growing children.
- A life span of up to 8 years.
- The smooth bottom base has grip material that will not damage the upholstery on the vehicle or slip on leather seats.
- Harness straps are made thick enough to prevent twisting.
- Clear and easy to use instruction manual.
- Takes up less space on the rear-facing position. This works well for smaller vehicles and taller passengers who push the front seat all the way back.
- Comfortable premium padding.
- Allows easy accurate and secure installation.
- Removable cup holder on either side of the car seat
- The 3D AirMesh enhances airflow that guarantees much more comfortable rides.
- It is heavy and bulky.
- LATCH weight limits require that you change to a seat belt installation when the baby weighs 35 lbs rear-facing or 40lb forward facing.
It is clear that the NextFit car seat has a lot of beneficial features that ensure convenience, comfort, and safety. It is true that the idea of a perfect car seat is far-fetched but Chicco is a near perfect in design and functionality. This puts parents in a much more calm position when traveling with babies.
I would totally recommend using the NextFit car seat. The fact that you can use it on any vehicle, leave alone an airplane is very appealing to me. The car seat has actually been tasted on every vehicle you can imagine. This includes old trucks, pick-ups and luxury vehicle with contours on the seats. The one year warranty goes further to emphasize the manufacturer’s confidence in their product. Most other car seats carry shorter warranties.
If the NextFit Zip is out of your budget then there are plenty of other high quality options out there that won’t break the bank. If you can afford it, however, this Chicco seat is definitely worth looking into and me and the wife ever have another child then this will be one of the first things we buy for the little tyke.